The Castle of Burriach

The ruined castle symbol of  Maresme

It has become one of the most emblematic monuments of the region. A highly recommended place to hike, watch good views, picnic or stroll animals is a way of affordable difficulty, and can be performed even with children.

The feature of the landscape, hills covered in a blanket of vegetation consists primarily of pine forests of pine and Mediterranean oaks.

P1050778 P1020767 P1050794


Burriac Castle is located 401 meters above sea level and 3500 of the coast is visible from much of the region and dominates the landscape with exelent views to Barcelona. Important route Cabrera valley and the river of Argentona and Parpers: This castle is located between the towns of Mataró, Argentona and Cabrera de Mar, in a position where visually controls the coast and the plain of Maresme communication between the coast and the Catalan interior.

IMG_1108 P1020789 P1020787

Route to the Castle of Burriac

This itinerary includes two of several ascents to do in Castle Burriac, in this case from Argentona and Cabrera.
On the site it occupies and its long history, the interest of this tour can be complemented with an approach to the ancient craft of charcoal burners and the ascent to the top of the Feu, a privileged viewpoint from which raptors and other birds can be seen that fly-way or return migration in Africa. In case you are interested in this observation, it is quite advisable to bring binoculars and bird guide to admit.

From Cabrera de Mar

From Argentona

Lenght: 5,33 kmRamp: MediumTime: 2h 10minDifficulty: Fácil Lenght: 10 kmRamp: Medium-highTime: 2h 30minDifficulty: Media
IMG_1132 P1020784 P1050774

History of Castle Burriach

The real name of the castle that rises above the turó (Hill) Burriac is Castell de Sant Vicenç, in honor of the medieval chapel dedicated to St. Vincent, which is one of the first buildings in the area. Burriac name not documented until the fourteenth century, in the year 1313,

The first traces of human presence on the hill Burriac back to the Iberian period, from s. VI. On the southern slopes of the hill important remains of one of the most important Iberian settlements in Catalonia, with an area of about 20 ha are preserved. It seems that the top was destroyed in later build the castle. Historians believe that this town is the former city of Ílduro, an important group who coined Iberian currency and that preceded the Roman city of Iluro, the current Mataró.

Among these are remains of the Iberian period cloths of the wall, which in some places exceeded two meters thick, and remains of houses and granaries. It seems that the town lived the most flourishing time of Iberian culture, between the sixth and fourth centuries BC, and its existence was extended until s. III B.C.

During the Roman occupation, on top of the hill a small Roman military fort was established, found remains of a Roman cistern II-I century BC in the same place. Served as a lookout point to control the coast, through which flowed the Sergia route. This communication channel linking the coastal land with interior and was used by the Romans to trade with wine, oil and minerals.

The castle was built on a former defense tower; the first documentation that speaks of its existence dates back to 1017, then known as Castle of San Vicente, and its history is linked to some of the great names of Catalan history as the Count of Barcelona Ramon Berenguer I and his mother, the Countess Ermessenda

It was expanded between the twelfth and thirteenth centuries with a keep, warehouses and a chapel dedicated to the saint, which are ruins of s. XV, when a larger enclosure reform and expansion took place.

The fortification was allowed to use during the eighteenth century, but the chapel remained in operation until 1836, when the building was finally abandoned. Thanks to archaeological excavations much of the medieval structure and one of the three tanks castle remains. It is very curious that the existence of these large water tanks in the castle, since in the area there is no source or watercourse, presumably served to store water from rain or climbing the castle’s inhabitants. A curiosity: in one of these tanks young modernist poet Antoni Isern committed suicide.


The Race Burriac start typing after the summer of 2002, many thought it was a Group members Argentona Mountain,

  • This route runs across almost entirely by the protected area of the Park of the Coastal Cordillera, in the Maresme, passing through the towns of Argentona and Cabrera de Mar.

Deja un comentario