The Begining of the Costa Brava …
A classic destination on the Costa Brava, with a good infraestrucutura dedicated to tourism, with its Sa Palomera Rock and the Castle of San juan as symbols of the city, the city of Blanes. Boránicos fantastic gardens and also stands out for its spectacle of the fireworks and pyrotechnics ..
What to see in Blanes?
Botanic Garden Marimurtra
The Marimurtra Botanical Garden is one of the most interesting botanical gardens in Europe scenically. Receives more than one hundred thousand visitors annually. During the tour “that will bring us to the cliffs bordering the sea, where one of the most beautiful and spectacular views of the Costa Brava is mastered,” we meet about 3,000 exotic species.
With an area of about 4 hectares, within an estate with Mediterranean forest domain, it is divided into three -subtropical, warm and mediterránea- areas where, apart from indigenous communities, are rebuilt several phytoepisodes or plant communities five continents.
Marimurtra, declared a Cultural Asset of National Interest by the government of Catalonia, was founded more than eighty years ago by the German Carl Faust, patron of the life sciences, with the intention to establish an international headquarters in Blanes for scientific research. Currently progressively it focuses its activity towards the conservation of endemic or threatened species Mediterranean.
Open all year and offers a shuttle bus from the center of town, with departures every 20 minutes during peak season.
Botanic Garden Pinya de Rosa
The Pinya de Rosa is a tropical garden located in an estate of about 50 hectares on the outskirts of the population, which represents one of the most interesting living cactològiques libraries in Europe. The collection presents the garden includes more than 7,000 species worldwide.
The garden was founded by Ferran Riviere de Caralt, recognized industrial engineer, who began building shortly after acquiring the property in 1945. The formation of the collections represented years of hard work. The specimens were extending the set were both from their original habitat, and botanical gardens, nurseries and private collections around the world.
Of all the collections they have been considered the best in Europe and worldwide, the genera Agave, Aloe, Lucca and Opuntia.
The Rock Sa Palomera
It is a large rock that enters the sea and separates the Bay of Blanes, in the north, and Sabanell Beach in the south, in the municipality of Blanes.
Sa Palomera and adjacent islets can be visited, as a viewpoint from which you can see a broad perspective of the population and the delta of the Tordera river flowing about 2 kilometers below, following the beach Sabanell is enabled.
This promontory is part of the renowned stage Blanes Pyrotechnic Festival is held every summer in the activities of the patromales festivities in honor of the saints Santa Ana and San Joaquin
There you can find the so-called “Portal de la Costa Brava” recent monument shaped half arch indicating the beginning of the Costa Brava.
Castle of San Juan
It IS THE HIGHEST POINT OF BLANES. HE MAY CONSIDER FROM ALMOST ALL THE MUNICIPALITY. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED GO TO SEE THEIR VIEWS
Today Sant Joan determines the unmistakable profile of the town and has become an excellent vantage point from which to observe Blanes in full, plus a good part of the coast. Brava, The jungle, The Maresmeen and on clear days it is possible to make out the silhouette of the mountain of Montjuïc, in Barcelona.
Castle Blanes or Forcadell appears already mentioned in a 1002 document Sunifred Viscount of Girona, and by the year 1050 will be their successors, the Cabrera, who possess the castle in fief of the Counts of Barcelona. In Catalan, Castell de Sant Joan, is a fortification located on the top of the hill San Juan.
Just for that beautiful view, covering 360 degrees worth the climb up to the castle, very easy tarmac access by car. The old castle, already documented nothing and nothing less than in 1002, the defense tower, about 15 meters high and 8 meters outside diameter, and a fragment of the wall remains.
Like many other castles on the coast at the time, it was originally built as building defense, especially against attacks from sea, and more specifically of pirates. Already in the fourteenth century also was part of the set of castles and fortifications, with the aim of defending Barcelona in the north, could communicate online (via sound or smoke signals) to reach the city. This group of castles were called line of Tordera (referring to the river that crosses).
He has suffered several attacks during its history. Before being rehabilitadoen 1958, he had served as military optical telegraph station for part of the nineteenth century and even as a refuge during the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939). Today, however, the set presents all its splendor to the visitor.
The Palace vescomtal of Blanes
The palace was a Gothic palace Cabrera house adjoining the church of Santa Maria, located on a landing above the level of Inside Villa, in the village of Blanes. It was erected while the church between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, and directed the works the prestigious architect Arnau Bargués. He had a rectangular shape and was structured plan and floor around a courtyard. He had four defense towers, two round on the sea side and two square on the mountain. One of these today is occupied by the bell tower of Santa Maria.
The Churches of Blanes
The chapel la Antiga:
It is considered the oldest chapel of Blanes, documented since 1388 but could be Romanesque. Very modified over time, it is a simple building with a single nave, apse, portal arch, porthole and bulrush.
It was partly destroyed in 1936. The images were burned contained that same year in the middle of the stream. Later it was rebuilt by neighbors and a new sculpture of the Virgen de la Antigua, Blanes Jaume artist’s work was enthroned. Containing images were burned that year in the middle of the stream. Red and historian Jalpí us details of its interior: there was an image of Sant Elm and the main altar was presided over by a statue of the Virgin Mary; at his side, San Narciso and San Pablo, and left a small altar to the Virgin of the Helpless and an image of San Francisco. There was also an altar dedicated to the Holy Christ with a stature of San Jose.
Its capacity and loudness features allow cultural events such as concerts and literary readings are also held. The priest in charge of maintaining the cult, who was the organist of the parish, taught music.
The Chapel of la Salud:
Chapel of a ship, bulrush and semicircular apse. It has undergone many changes in its configuration, the most important being situated along the road which was the only exit towards Lloret Blanes; This fact led to the demolition of nearly half of its surface
La iglesia de Santa María.
he work was done in several stages and original Gothic facade and bell tower. The door is framed with pointed arches in degradation, there is a rosette above and is topped with battlements. The bell tower is square and has two floors with double window arches on each side. The interior consists of three ships.
Capilla de la Esperanza
Interior: The Chapel of Hope is a chapel located on the street of Hope Blanes, La Selva.
History From mid-seventeenth century, we find evidence of their existence in an incident in 1650 and the historian José Blanes Vieta Cortils and described in his book Ethology of Blanes. The chapel was located outside the city walls and following beach and always had a lamp that served as a guide for ships to reach fruition, considering that at that time the boats moored to the beach. That is why that is popularly known by the name In Portus. You can not set the date of construction, but what we know is that they met many times jurors (what would be the current council) to discuss the affairs of the city, because they are written in some of the minutes of the seventeenth century. The story also tells us that the priest who took care of the chapel taught grammar all children of the population.
Architecture Chapel of square plan, a single nave, side slopes and belfry. The facade has a door arch, the work of a reform of the nineteenth century, two round windows and decorative motifs sailors (boats, fish) and vegetables. Inside, the roof is supported by two large arches and hangs a boat. On the altar are images of San Telmo, San Antonio Abad and San Antonio de Padua.
It is a great source of civil Gothic style so little that we can consider remarkable and unique.
The source had it built the daughter of the Count of Prades, Na Violant of Cabrera, in the early fifteenth century. In their plans, the light plays on secular golden stones forever. To highlight several elements: its carefully wrought crest, the slender and wonderfully ornamented pinnacles, its six gargoyles with human figures and irrational heads and the central medallion with the coat of Cabrera.
Its octagonal shape suggests that probably was in the middle of a small square surrounded by arches Ample street, it was not straight like today, but irregular, and that gave the slenderness and good taste its designers materialized with the six water springs.
A few years ago a group of blandenses studied how to deploy it so that their faces could be admired, but was considered technically impossible since entailed dismantle stone by stone and corrosion has undergone over the centuries not allow it.
Treumal beach is the smallest of the four offered by the town of Blanes and found further north. Surrounded by a declared Natural Area of National Interest landscape, such as Pinya Rosa.
Sant Francesc beach surrounded by pines. It is ideal for families because of its size and facilities. Access from the villa are different, but you can get past the botanical garden Marimurtra to Sant Joan. It is also known as Cala Bona.
Santa Anna A small beach situated behind the Blanes port. Below the Blanes Convent, popularly known as Capellans Beach.
Playa de Blanes beach located in the center of the village, next to the port and to the right of Sa Palomera, physical beginning of the Costa Brava.
S’Abanell Blanes Beach is located on the left side of the rock of Sa Palomera, elongates to the mouth of the Tordera river, where we find the tourist area of Blanes offering all services.
Festivities in Blanes
Festival of Santa Ana and San Joaquin (26) between 21 and 27 July. During the eight days their festivals and the largest international fireworks competition in Europe with more than 500,000 visitors are held.
Minor party or skippers (San Bonoso and Maximiano) in which is tradition since 25 years ago the People’s Night Walk held in mid-August. This hike has an entirely popular character makes many people walking accompanied by their children, pets … It has approximately 8 km long. The award is a reminder and a slice of watermelon.
For its so centrally located, near the beach and in the beginning of the historic center location, office Plaza Catalunya is the point of information it receives more visits a year, as this place is a hub of Blanes to accessing both pedestrians walk, and visitors in public or private transport. This office is open all year.
- Address: Plaça Catalunya, s / n
- Tf .: +34 972 330 348
- Fax: +34 972 334 686
- E-mail: email@example.com
Monday to Thursday from 10: 00-15: 00
Friday and Saturday from 10: 00-14: 00 and 16: 00-18: 00 pm Sunday closed
Summer: Monday to Sunday from 10: 00-14: 00 and 16: 00-20: 00 h
Office Els Pins
Information point located in the heart of the tourist area of the town, where they are most accommodations in the city. Point open from June to September information.
- Address: Plaça dels Campsites, s / n